Saturday, July 29, 2006

romance without taste

It was my boyfriend's birthday this week so I thought I would take him out to a nice restaurant to celebrate. Someone at work mentioned that 'One if by Land, Two if by Sea' was supposed to be the most romantic restaurant so I went for it. If it wasn't on the list for restaurant week I might have passed it up with a price fix menu at $70 that did not include drinks and grat...

I was pretty psyched as we walked up to the unmarked door in greenwich village and entered what used to be an old carriage house once owned by Aaron Burr. It's true that it's pretty romantic with live piano in the background, fresh flowers and candles at every table. We tried our best to enjoy the birthday dinner but being the critics we are, we couldn't help but discuss this fine restaurant's downfalls. For one, it sort of felt like I was in my grandmother's house. Although the chef has been talked up in every publication, we found the food to be uninspired. Perhaps ordering from the restaurant week menu was our downfall, but you'd think they would want to get first-timers to come back to their restaurant. The hake I ordered tasted only of the butter it was fried in.

I must say the dessert was a stand-out as we ordered a warm peach cobbler paired with ginger ice cream and a molten chocolate fondant. All in all, I would have to give it a thumbs down because although the name isn't ordinary, the fare is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home