Monday, October 23, 2006

All About Food

This weekend was all about food. The weekend was about the 3-C’s: conversation, consumerism and consumption! A wonderful fall weekend was spent in the Berkshires with George’s family. We were about a week late for ideal leaf-peeping season, but the colors were still beautiful, the weather was crisp and the food was plentiful.

Our first meal in the Berkshires was a venison chili. It hit the spot after our morning drive and seemed to nicely compliment the region, the season, and certainly our appetites. Friday evening was spent in Great Barrington, MA where we dined at a trendy Berkshire restaurant called Pearl. We were all food critics during and after the meal, and despite a few seasoning shortfalls, it was a delicious meal.

Saturday began with a wonderful potato frittata, homemade squash and pumpkin bread, strong coffee and a conversation relating to food-related activities for the day. We all took a trip back into Great Barrington to visit the Mecca of all cooking stores. It is truly a foodie’s Disneyland. I wanted to buy everything in the store, ranging from the Viking mixer to a colorful silicon baster. I, unfortunately, found the strength to forego purchasing fun little kitchen gadgets that while I needed, knew would never find a proper storage place in my tiny New York City kitchen. I guess I will continue to juice my lemons with a fork, rather than a proper lemon juicer….

Despite the emotional setback at the cooking store, this all about food weekend continued flawlessly. Saturday’s dinner consisted of a medley of fall dishes, including sautéed apples, a corn fritter of some-delicious-sort and a glaze to the chicken that was out of this world. When I get the recipe I will pass it along… Saturday ended with a competitive scrabble game, in which the winning word was again, food-related. George and I took home the gold with “Nacho” – a nice triple word score that brought us into the lead.

This all about food weekend was gastro-fabulous. It seemed as if every conversation centered on food (Rutgers football conversations aside…). I even found my next supper club recipe – a pork and apple turnover dish! All in all, a weekend spent with like-minded gourmands is never a disappointment.

Until next time…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home