Sunday, November 05, 2006

Fond-tastic Times With Cookies



I made some more cookies this weekend. I am starting to get a bit more comfortable with baking - although I have to say I really took the easy way out. I already had some dough in the freezer that I made last week so I saved a bunch of time by not having to make a new batch of sugar cookie dough. I also bought a package of royal icing mix, which cut down on the time it would have taken to make my icing. However, I did find that the royal icing mix directions were a little off. The directions called for adding 5 tablespoons of water to the one pound package of royal icing mix. Well, since I was only making a small batch of cookies, I decided to only make a portion of the royal icing mix. According to my math, 1/2 of a cup of royal icing mix (1/4 of a pound) and 1 1/4 tablespoons of water should have produced the desired icing peaks to form, but in reality, I needed almost an entire cup of royal icing mix. Who knows....

The exciting part of this weekend's adventures in decorative cookies was working with fondant. Fondant was the first layer of my icing for the cookies. Working with fondant was so much easier than I anticipated. I really thought that it would be one huge fond-aster, but the fondant was quite manageable. I did find it diffucult to roll it into a very thin sheet. The layer of fondant on my cookies was almost as thick as the cookie itself, but hopefully I'll get the hang of rolling fondant with practice!

As you can see from the pictures the cookies are in the shape of dog biscuits. Despite not having a dog, I just found the cookie cutter too cute to pass up! I might try to find out when Kendra's dog's birthday is and send some cookies for the occasion!

Until next time...

1 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoy cookies and biscuits, especially bacon and liver flavored. Ruff! And my birthday is May 1!! Love, Marmaduke.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home