Wednesday, August 02, 2006

350º: No Longer Just an Oven Temperature

As we all know, we are in the middle of one of the worst heat waves known to New York City. This week, Mayor Bloomberg declared a heat emergency in New York City. An additional 400 cooling centers have been designated around the City, City pools are open an hour past normal business hours, the Empire State Building has turned off its colored lights to conserve energy and Con Edison has completely broken down. Power outages have been running rampant all across NYC, and parts of Queens were without power for several days.


This is not the week to love New York City. It is certainly not the week to travel to New York City, be outside in New York City or dine in New York City. Even though I take an air-conditioned bus to work, I work in a heavily air-conditioned building and my apartment is air-conditioned (somewhat), it only seems like a temporary relief to the sweltering heat, seemingly endless sweating and constant complaining.

Due to the heat, I haven't been done much cooking. Living in this heat, which for purposes of this blog feels like a 350º oven, has taken away any cooking inspirations. Despite my somewhat air-conditioned apartment, my gas stove quickly turns the tolerable 84º apartment (with air-conditioning) to a hellacious 90º apartment. Why bother?

I have been eating out a lot this week and my favorite take-out restaurants are getting their fair share of my business. I am anxiously awaiting the return of cooler weather so I can relight my stove. Hopefully this 350º oven us New Yorkers are living in this week isn't a sign of permanent global change. Hopefully this heat is much like an oven broiler – it is infrequently used and only on for shorter periods of time. But for now, this constant baking has certainly rendered New York City overdone.

Until next time....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home