Monday, December 11, 2006

Mastering Mashed Potatoes

Mashed potatoes are one of my most favorite foods. For me, mashed potatoes are the ultimate comfort food. They are the perfect pairing to a roast chicken and on a fall or winter evening, there is nothing more comforting than a mastered mashed potato.

So what are mastered mashed potatoes? Well, the answer is probably obvious to a true mashed potato connoisseur; for others, the answer might be somewhat puzzling. Those who grew up with unremarkable mashed potatoes might find this posting a bit trivial or strange, but for those of us who instantly know the shortcomings of boxed mashed potatoes, unsalted mashed potatoes or lumpy mashed potatoes, this posting is a long-awaited homage to the wonderful spud.

Before I tell you all about how I have mastered mashed potatoes, let me tell you of a dark moment in my mashed potato eating existence. First, my mother makes a pretty decent mashed potato. Her mashed potatoes have had moments of salt-conservatism or butter deficiencies, but overall, she trained my palate well. During my formative years, I only knew my mom’s mashed potatoes. When I was 13 or so, my aunt made boxed mashed potatoes, and for some reason, perhaps it was an act of rebellion, I decided boxed mashed potatoes were the best mashed potatoes. For a few years following this experience, I had a mild, albeit unacceptable, obsession with boxed mashed potatoes.

Fortunately, I moved out of this dark time and regained culinary sense. Then, when I got a bit older and developed my own culinary interests, I figured out how to property make mashed potatoes. First, true mashed potatoes are simple. They are not made with red potatoes and their skins, they are not made with wasabi, nor are they chunky. Mashed potatoes, my way, are smooth, salted, buttered, beaten and fluffy. Liberal doses of butter, salt and milk are essential. There are no frills, no spills, just simple mashed potatoes. For me, a simple mashed potato, is a mastered mashed potato.

Until next time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home