Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Walk the walk and talk the "seafood talk"

Trips to the New Hampshire/Maine area mean to me lobster, shopping, walks on the beach, and lobster. Did I mention lobster? I have two aunties up there and will make up any excuse to go for a visit. I had a great two days and enjoyed fabulous meals as culinary skills run in the family. Sad to leave Sunday night, the only thing that held back the tears was the seafood market around the corner that I would definitely hit up on the way out.

My cooler was waiting to be filled and I did it no injustice that day. “Seafood talk” is big in the New England area. “Seafood talk” is what I like to refer to as talking up the local catch. An example - “Oh, you’ve got to try this lobster! It was just brought in off the boat a minute ago!” So I just had to get some lobster, scallops, shrimp, swordfish (flash-frozen and flown in from Australia), and rope-grown mussels. Mikey from Seaport Market hooked me up as usual. Thanks Mikey!!

It’s becoming a tradition to pick up a couple bags of PEI (Prince Edward Island) rope-grown mussels and cook them up within the next day for friends back in the city. A simple recipe for steaming mussels passed on to me by Aunt Linda produces a feast. A fresh baguette to dip in the juice is key to enjoying the meal. Now that my short visit is over and the mussels have been steamed and quickly demolished, I’ll start thinking up another excuse to visit my aunts again…

2 Comments:

At 1:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Do you have any mussels left?

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger maggie said...

Most certainly not. I should have called you to help with the demolition!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home