Friday, August 18, 2006

Amateur to Ace (Let's Hope…)

I recently had a moment of self-discovery, self-realization, a Sartre-like experience, yada yada. I was sitting on the beach – the perfect place to find your inner philosopher – when I came to the conclusion that I need a lot of help. Well, that is a bit of an exaggeration, but I did realize that all the complaining I have been doing lately on the trials and tribulations of being an Associate (a.k.a. a glorified secretary) just hasn't produced the desired results. Unbelievable, I know…

Realizing that if I don't make changes I will become the perfect spokesperson for any major pharmaceutical anti-depressant medication, I decided to take life by the horns, the reins, anything I could grab, and do more of what I love to do.

I signed up for two classes at the Institute of Culinary Education (ICE). Both classes will be offered this October and are part of ICE's recreational division. (If only these classes counted towards my continuing legal education requirements…) This is really great news for you readers since I will, officially, become credible in October!

I signed up for "French-Mexican Dinner." Having a strong affinity for everything French (including the French) and an addiction to guacamole, I thought this class was perfect for me. The class is all about French cooking techniques found in Mexican cuisine. The second class I will be taking is "Breaking into Food Writing." Looking for any opportunity to break into another career, I signed up thinking that this might be the golden ticket to my success. The class description tells me that I will learn innovative ways to think about the food's story and how magazine editors will stand up and take notice of my work! (And the Pulitzer goes to…)

Hopefully these classes will provide the mental catharsis I need. But, more importantly, I hope to lean more about different cooking techniques and different ethnic influences in food preparation. Better yet, hopefully the writing class will allow me to better explain what I hope to experience!

Until next time…

1 Comments:

At 2:20 PM, Blogger maggie said...

That sounds like a great idea!! I was also looking into classes to take. The New school offers a wide variety as well but it's $$. Also looked at French Cul Inst but way $$. I'll to find out more about ICE though because I'm so jealous!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home