Monday, August 21, 2006

More on Mussels Thanks to Maggie!

Ever since I read Maggie’s latest posting proclaiming her recent PEI purchase, I have had a huge craving for those succulent bivalves. On Friday, a good friend and I went to a fun, trendy restaurant in Chelsea called Cafeteria. Cafeteria is very similar to Diner 24 (see supra Diner 24 No More) in the sense that the food is retro-comfo (retro comfort food), but I find Cafeteria to be a bit busier and more hip than Diner 24. Unlike Diner 24, you will wait for a table at Cafeteria.

My usual fare at Cafeteria is the Country Fried Steak, a la heart attack on a plate. As a quick aside, the country fried steak is a breaded, deep-fried steak served over garlicky mashed potatoes with a spinach and white mushroom sauce. It is a melt-in-your-mouth, can’t get enough, don’t talk to me while I am eating my country fried steak, but I hate myself after the fact type of meal.

Anyway, on this occasion, I decided to preserve my arteries and I ordered the mussels since it has been difficult for me to think of much else since I read Maggie’s blog. The mussels at Cafeteria were advertised as Prince Edward Island (PEI), but knowing a bit about the popular PEIs, my Nancy Drew sleuthing instinct instantly alerted me that there was something fishy about the mussels on my plate. The mussels were a little beardy and barnacley to be PEIs. PEIs, as Maggie says are farm-raised/cultured mussels grown in mesh stockings from ropes hung in the water. The mussels actually never touch the ocean floor, creating an ideal condition for growth. Because PEIs are raised this way, the mussels tend to be cleaner and free of the grit usually found in other types of mussels.

Another clue that tipped me off to the PEI misnomer was the size of the mussel. The mussels were quite small, despite having a large shell. PEIs are supposed to be larger and meatier. On top of this bait and switch, the mussels were prepared in a cream based broth – not the wonderful white wine sauce I was craving. I still enjoyed the sauce and experienced incredible pleasure dipping my crusty garlic toast in the sauce, but my Cafeteria mussel eating experience just didn’t satisfy the craving Maggie’s blog created.

But, don’t worry; I got my mussel (a la Maggie’s mussels) fix. On Saturday, knowing how I needed mussels my way in a bad way, George made a mussel dish to end all mussel cravings. We found PEIs (the real deal), put them in an aluminum baking pan with chopped shallots, garlic, celery, a stick of butter and an entire bottle of pinot grigio. George covered the pain with foil, put the pan right on the grill and steamed them to the utmost perfection. And he achieved perfection! George shot a bivalve birdie on this PGA golf championship weekend with this mussel dish…

Maggie, hats off to you! Your blog truly inspired my weekend eating experience.

Until next time…

P.S.: Larisa's Food Wire Flash – This just in, a delicious mushroom gravy was made this weekend and was the perfect compliment to a perfectly seasoned and perfectly grilled pork tenderloin.

1 Comments:

At 12:15 PM, Blogger maggie said...

I love that I inspired you! And what a great boyfriend you have. I told my bf to bring me home fresh seafood instead of flowers and he just smirked! Did he think I was kidding?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home