Friday, September 08, 2006

The Proper Snack

The question of what is a proper snack has recently arisen. On my way home from work the other day, I started complaining to a friend that I was completely famished and that I couldn’t wait until dinner. My friend, who also happens to be a co-worker and coincidently a neighbor, mentioned that she had a snack-size bag of pretzels around 4pm, but she didn’t consider it to be a proper snack.

As I tend to dwell on the words people choose to describe things, I found myself deep in thought over what is a proper snack. The work “proper” threw me for a loop. Generally, I consider snacks to be either good, healthy, perhaps satisfying, but never proper. A proper snack, however, suggests something that is appropriate or suitable, or even fitting, lending a proper snack to be associated with time and substance. I enjoy snacking, and generally do so to satisfy an immediate hunger or boredom, but when presented with determining what I would consider a proper snack, I found myself a bit overwhelmed.

To alleviate this onset of improper stress, I polled a few friends and family members to get their ideas on what is considered to be their proper snacks. The results, which I found quite revealing, reflected a general understanding and appreciation for a proper snack, rather than just a short-term hunger fix. Here are the results.

Brittany: “My most appropriate snack is French bread dipped in really good olive oil…with some salt added, preferably snacked on while making dinner.”
Kristina: “McVities Hob Nobs”
Josh: “I like warm soppresetta slices with pieces of aged Romano and some crusty Italian bread.”
Dave: “Cayenne flavored pistachio nuts”
Andrew: “I find that a well-timed Green Tea suppresses hunger for a few hours until you are able to eat a ‘proper’ meal. When hungry, one should always ask themselves, ‘where would I be without my physical beauty?’ In most cases, the answer is not as appealing as the snack you are considering.”

I guess my point in this is that my friends value a proper snack. Sure we all graze and munch because we can, but if we were to carefully choose a proper snack, we would do so wisely and competently. My father’s response further solidified this perhaps innate, or more selective, characteristic we all seem to have. His response was, “I was going to choose a carrot with a slice of cheddar cheese, but then I thought, no, wait, think on this.” So did I throw people off by the term “proper,” or do we all associate a proper snack with the most perfect snack?

For me, after much polling and deliberation, I can safely say that my most proper snack is a thin rice cracker with a soft cheese, probably St. Andre, around 5:30pm before I begin to make dinner. But, to put this all in some perspective, I wouldn’t pass up a 6-foot party hoagie at 2pm if it were given to me!

Until next time…

1 Comments:

At 3:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On September 11, in the midst of all the sadness, terrible memories, anger, televised roll calls, flags waving, political speeches, calls to arms and moments of silence, I celebrated a birthday. (Excuse me as I take a bite of my proper 2:40 p.m. snack of a handful of peanut M&Ms with cashews--is it rude to eat and type?). I am blessed with phenomenal relationships with my family, friends and co-workers (I am also chewing on a very out-of-season orange) and can confidently say that I am loved by them. But I realized, after reading this blurb on afternoon hunger-killing habits of professionals, that no matter what is going on in life, we have time to eat and make time for the truly important things in our lives. One of which is NOT to invest the time to wish a dear friend, brother or officemate a happy birthday. My mom is an angel and was the first to call on Monday (she also makes killer ginger ribs which could be a snack,) followed closely by my dad. When I arrived at work I had goodie bag with a card from a co-worker who sits a few doors away from me on my floor. How doubly sweet--she gave me the peanut M&Ms I wrote about and was thoughtful enough to give me a gift. But, she never stopped in to say happy birthday in person. All day! Two of my closest friends, R & E, manly men who love to snack on Argentine beef, friends for over 15 years, managed to each send me a text message. No phone call, no personal appearance. Another dear friend and co-worker, who sits a few floors above me barely managed to place a phone call, again, couldn't spear the time to take the elevator down 3 floors to give a kiss and hug. She does, however, make her own salad dressing and tosses a mean salad, which she probably learned from Mr. Nicholls, at the school of hard knocks. My brother and closest friend, who's birthday is two days after mine, did not call me until almost 3 p.m.: sorry too much work and been swamped. He did have a terrific burger at Rare on Lex and 37th (I think it was the Kobe burger). Another friend called the night before while she was making Chilean Sea Bass, although some may argue there is no such fish. By the way, the friend never called on my birthday. Two other dear friends forgot altogether and called the day after. We apologize, we were busy at work and then went to dinner. Oddly enough, without reminding them it was my birthday, I asked them to join me for dinner, but they had plans. I don't know what they ate or what they snack on. Oh, the rest of my team at work also forgot the day and are now scrambling to put together a belated bash, for which I get to select the restaurant. Any suggestions? I should make them pay dearly.

But no, I am not bitter that all these people who care about me in different degrees forgot my birthday. What a silly thing a birthday, huh? We should care about our loved ones every day, irrespective of a special occasion. Just wanted to share the story and advise you to sit back, be aware, make time and don't let an opportunity to share a good meal pass you by.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home